Samsung facing new safety fears over other phone models
Ross McLaughlin and Sandra Hermiston , CTV Vancouver
Published Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:49PM PST
Last Updated Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:40PM PST
Samsung’s safety issues with overheating smartphones may be growing. After a massive recall, the company said it would no longer produce the fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 and requested consumers send back the phones to the company in fireproof packaging.
Now, CTV News has been contacted by several other consumers who own different models of Samsung phones, but who claim to be having similar overheating problems.
Amarjit Mann of Winnipeg says he was driving when he felt his Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone getting warm in his pocket. He quickly pulled over and took the phone out.
A Winnipeg man says his Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone exploded in his hand, sending him to hospital.
“It exploded right away,” he said, “I just saw smoke and nothing else.”
Mann suffered second-degree burns on his hands and third-degree burns on his wrists.
Jens Heiliger of Surrey says he was alarmed when he noticed his S7 Edge phone was getting hot. After getting an overheating message, he grabbed his infrared thermometer to test it.
“It shot up from 42 to 58 [degrees] within like five seconds,” said Heiliger.
Consumer reporter Ross McLaughlin could not replicate the overheating issue with the phone, but Heiliger says he’s afraid to continue to use it.
“I do not want it next to my bed or plugged in somewhere, not knowing if it will overheat or if it catch fire or not, who knows,” he said.
Peter Sipidias of Toronto says he’s been having issues with his new S7 Edge.
“I’ve never handled a piece of technology that hot in my hand,” he said, “I thought it was going to burn me cause I’m hearing about this [Galaxy] Note blow up issue.”
In a statement to CTV News Samsung Canada stated, “We are unable to comment on any alleged incident without having an opportunity to obtain and analyze the product. Customer safety remains our highest priority and we remain committed to working with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to address the customer’s concerns.”
Sipidias got a refurbished replacement phone. He says it’s the same one he sent in because it has the same unique identifying number.
Meanwhile, Mann says he plans to send what’s left of his phone to the company.
But in a follow-up email Wednesday, Samsung Canada stated, “We spoke with Mr. Mann this evening. At the time of his conversation he has indicated he’s unwilling to return his device.”
McLaughlin reached out to Mann for clarification, but has yet to hear back.
Prior to Mann’s injury, Health Canada told CTV News it had four complaints of the Galaxy S7 Edge overheating and one injury, a minor burn.
A Canadian class action suit filed against Samsung over the Galaxy Note 7s has now added the S7 and S7 Edge phones to its complaint.
CTV News also reached out to U.S. regulators. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has had complaints of other Samsung phones overheating too including the Galaxy S7 Edge.
So what can consumers do if this happens to them?
If you notice your phone is getting too hot, turn it off. Take the case off of the phone and see if that helps cool it down. Then report the issue to Samsung Canada or to the Health Canada Product Safety department.